Wednesday 1 April 2009

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden



Dear James,

Last weekend was the second wedding of the month, this time in Rosario. Rosario's a nice place by the river, and if I was writing a Pies and Prejudice style book I'd tell you more. Sadly, my writing only extends to the conurbation of Buenos Aires. Rosarina girls are renowned all over, er, Santa Fe Province, supposedly because they're as good-looking as Buenos Aires girls (portenas) without being so high maintenance. I told Funseeker that if ever I was single again I'd move to Rosario. She said rosarinas were "grasas", a word that used to mean "vulgar" but which now pretty much means "having different tastes to one's own". Funseeker uses it for anyone who doesn't appreciate avant-garde clothing on a daily basis.

While all this fun was happening, I missed Iron Maiden playing in Buenos Aires. It was quite stirring to see all the Maiden t-shirt clad fans arriving at Retiro bus station as we were leaving. This reminded me that the song Iron Maiden, by Iron Maiden on the Iron Maiden album is one of those rare songs where if you listen to it on one of the fancier i-Pods, the display shows the same phrase three times and nothing else. Another example is Baader Meinhof, for whom it works twice, although they're kind of cheating by doing a concept album. Can you think of any others?

Bruce Dickinson has such a voice for metal. I'm impressed he does his "Scream for me (insert city or country of relevance)" for this song, as I thought he only did it on "Flight of Icarus", posted below. Maybe he just loves hearing those screams.

Iron Maiden were supported by Sepultura, who are probably the best metal band I've never seen, after Iron Maiden. Their 1992 smash hit "Refuse/Resist" is also the best metal song ever written that I've never owned. Diddy diddy der, diddy diddy der. It's so catchy. And the future of Bossa Nova, they say.

No comments: