Wednesday 1 April 2009

Baader Meinhof - Baader Meinhof - Baader Meinhof

Dear James,

I'm writing this and the below post from the studio, where it's 10am and only one other person has arrived. Last night, Dr. Raul Alfonsin, former president and the father of democracy (he was the first president after the 76-83 dictatorship) died, and three days of mourning were declared. I assumed this applied to school children and congressmen, but I'm beginning to think the remit might be wider. Which could prove tricky as we're supposed to be handing over the final copies of our first two episodes on Friday and we're still editing furiously.

So I was going to post a link to music from Luke Haines' Baader Meinhof album, but couldn't find a single thing on youtube. Instead, on Wikipedia I found what is known as the "Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon". This caught my eye as it is often the case that I hear a Spanish word I'd never previously heard in ten years here, and then hear it twice more before the week is out. The last one was "escafandra", used in the translation of "Diving Bell and the Butterfly" and then in two of our episodes. Then last night I learnt a new word for "profitable". I've forgotten what it was but I'm sure I'll hear it again soon.

Have you seen the Baader Meinhof film? Me neither. Regarding the album, even Wikipedia has practically nothing on it. Does the album really exist, or did we dream it? I've never met anyone else who's heard of it. Oh, here we go, found something...



1 comment:

Mark said...

I remember the first time I heard the album - blew me away. I wonder what the Red Army Faction would have made of Fred Goodwin ...
I'm reading Luke Haines "autobiography" Bad Vibes at the moment. Piss funny.