Thursday 23 April 2009

Dear James dear Danny

A long time without writing in your maravilloso blog, i was wondering if any of you both is from Leeds... yes? no?
I am from Amanda Palmer, justo love her and want to share her beautiful punk cabaret...
elfwoman









Dear Elsa,

Well this is quite weird. A song about Dirty Leeds? No, no, no, I won't have that on my blog. For some idea about Leeds United you could do worse then read Vs by Tony Harrison and then watch or read The Damned United. Although if you manage to finish that poem, you're more patient than I am. It goes on forever.

James will tell you he is from Leeds, he's lived there for the last 11 years or so. I have to wait another year before I can tell people I'm from Buenos Aires. James recently said the rudest word in the English language live on air at Leeds radio station, Radio Aire. And he's supposed to be the newsreader! James will also tell you he's northern. He was born in Winchester and lived most of his formative years in Jersey, before seeing sense at age 18 and moving to Sheffield. He says the years spent in Jersey don't count, as they're "abroad", so by his mathemetics (and, note this, he has a degree in mathemetics) he's lived longer in the north than he has in the south and this qualifies him to play for Yorkshire. Probably at snooker, given that as I type these words, James is almost definitely wearing slippers, watching the snooker and thinking about putting in that application for the allotment. It's a good life, being James.

In continuation of my above post, I should tell you that I was born in Sheffield, which is in South Yorkshire. I was at Sao Paolo airport three years ago, waiting for everyone to get on the plane before I got on. To kill time, I was enjoying The Beach Boys' "Disney Girls" on my MP3 player of choice, and smiling benignly while the airport staff waited for me to get a move on. When I got to passport control, they took me aside and told me they believed my passport to be a forgery. I'd got it in Buenos Aires, it was quite likely. Just then one of the passport men looked at my place of birth and said "Sheffield! I've been there! He's all right, let him through". Pretty good, eh? And I get to play for Yorkshire!

No comments: