Sunday 15 February 2009

Suzanne/Amsterdam



Dear James,

I actually wanted to post this song by Jacques Brel but enabling has been disabled, so I asked youtube to give me a video I could post in its stead and for reasons known only to youtube it suggested this Leonard Cohen number. Take your coat off, Lenny. Stay a while. Except youtube originally suggested the live at Isle of Wight version, then told me it wasn't available, thus rendering my raincoat comment incomprehensible.

Wikipedia really does throw you some odd lines at times. I'm sure this one's made up:

One morning at six o'clock he read the words of Amsterdam to Fernand, a restauranteur who was about to set off fishing for scorpion fish and conger eels for the bouillabaisse. Overcome, Fernand broke out in sobs and cut open some sea urchins to help control his emotion.

The English lyrics to Brel's songs and much used by Scott Walker were written by Mort Shuman, who also wrote Viva Las Vegas.

No comments: