Wednesday 18 February 2009

Bacharach and David Medley by Bacharach



Dear James,

I've been spending the morning trying to come up with fresh ideas for the Songs of Bacharach and David film, starring Duels. So far I have half a page of A4 of fairly stale ideas and the newly-gained knowledge that the actress who played Maxine in Being John Malkovich played Jerry Seinfeld's artistic girlfriend in the episode The Letter. I like to believe that this is how writers work.

But my morning hasn't been a complete waste of time as I stumbled across this nice TV appearance of Burt Bacharach with Herb Alpert. Good to see that, like all great songwriters, Bacharach can't quite hit all the notes on the songs he wrote himself.

Just when it looks like Burt's not quite going to hit that note in The Look of Love, his buddies show up to help him out! That's What Friends Are For indeed, although that song wasn't written until 1985 and was a collaboration with Carole Bayer Sager of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life fame, not Hal David. I just spent half an hour looking for the clip but I couldn't find it. This is how writers work.

Then along comes Liza Minelli! I think this is the first time I've found her attractive, not that Liza cares. I just spent thirty seconds looking for clips of Liza Minelli in Arrested Development. As a writer, I feel I've learnt not to waste too much time looking for clips that don't exist. I wonder how Liza felt about sharing a stage with a novelty marimba band. Notice how happy she is that she gets to stand next to Wes Montgomery instead of the funny men with moustaches. I wish I had a marimba. This xylophone I bought is rubbish.

I've just found out from the A House is Not a Homepage website that Burt is playing four dates in Brazil in April. That is very tempting.

No comments: