Monday 2 February 2009

24 hours from Tulsa



Dear James,

I've been meaning to post this one for a while, ever since Anna said she'd never heard the song. Or maybe she just didn't recognise it from my ukulele rendition. Said rendition will be my cameo appearance in the film The Songs of Bacharach and David, as a busker gently butchering the mellow sounds of the sixties. However, given that once again I got up at 11am today, I have yet to find the time to take on a further project. I'm waiting for a spurt of creativity, but once it comes, mister, you mark my words...

This video is an excellent experiment in the beauty of minimalism. The light at the start, the appearance of Gene Pitney as he walks to the camera, about to present a hard-hitting current affairs programme. We should make some Scroops videos while you're over, following the same ethos.

I first heard of Gene Pitney when he appeared on Top of the Pops with Marc Almond singing Something's Got a Hold of my Heart. My nanna sat there muttering "poor old Gene Pitney" throughout the performance. I thought it was because he'd died. I think in fact he'd just been outed by the Daily Mail. A former Leeds Polytechnic student, both of Marc Almond's UK number ones were covers, the other being Tainted Love, a 1964 single by Cincinatti's Gloria Jones, penned by Ed Cobb who also wrote Every Little Bit Hurts (recorded by The Small faces and The Clash).

No comments: