Tuesday 24 February 2009

Anaestesia (Cutting Teeth)/Whiplash



Dear James,

How long before this is used as an advert for, I don't know, car insurance? Why can't we metal kids be in on a TV joke or two?

There are many things to recommend this video: Cliff Burton's declaration of ZZ Top love; Dave Mustaine's presentation of Cliff Burton "on the four-string motherfucker"- that's a bass guitar to you and me; one of Cliff Burton's early solos for the band, which ended up on the album as Anaestesia (Pulling Teeth), because obviously that's the first thing you think of when you hear a bass solo; and finally, a song so fast it's nigh on impossible to work out what's going on. And yet Cliff refuses to use a plectrum! That's what I was aiming for in my 1990 bass lessons. I fell well short. Started using a pick, like Duff McKagan. Sigh.

You can admire the young Hetfield's Whiplash lyrics here. It's the only Metallica song to mention "Metallica". There's a pub quiz question for you.

I could take Guns n Roses tapes on access days with my dad, but Metallica had to stay at home.

This is taken from the classic video, Cliff Em All, a tribute to the dead bassist. Jason Newstead must have been gutted that he didn't get a similar tribute, although to be fair he didn't quite die enough, he just went off in a huff. And of all the metal albums and videos I sold at university for beer money, this and Master of Puppets are the two I regret the most.

No comments: