Monday 9 February 2009

Samba do poeta/vai levando/tristeza



Dear James,

Much jubilation at Serrano y Cabrera as communications have once again been established with Áine the Woodentop. I'll see if she heeds my request for some Woodentop links, in the meantime a summary of our cyber-conversation:

1, In 2006 we went to a marvellous record shop in Salvador, Brazil called Brinjal, or Aubergine. I could tell you a long story about the etymology of aubergine and brinjal, but Mr. Quinion tells it much better here. Anyway, at the shop in question Áine and I both purchased the same "30 years of Bossa Nova" record, which may or may not include songs by these people. That's Toquinho on the guitar, Maria Creusa singing, Tom Jobim on the piano. And that's not your granddad dancing across the stage and embarrassing the others, it's Vinicius de Moraes.

2, The Phil Coolins/Cadburys gorilla debacle.

3, A very talented individual plays The Pixies' Debaser on a Bontempi organ. I wish I could play piano two-handed.

4, While recording with the Woodentops, Áine got to play a minimoog, but sadly only to make white noise. Here's Dr. Moog explaining his invention. I now know what "attack length" means on my Yamaha Electone.

5, And on a completely different note, here's all the swear words from The Sopranos. That's 30 minutes of swearing. I've never really got into The Sopranos, but now I might have to.

No comments: