Thursday 29 January 2009

South American Way



Dear James,

As you know, today marks ten years since I emigrated to Argentina. I was going to post this Gardel song, but everyone posts Mi Buenos Aires Querido on their music blogs when they reach ten years' residence, so you get the lovely Carmen Miranda instead. The Andrew Sisters did a great version of this song, but I can't find it on youtubes but they have got South America, Take It Away with Bing Crosby, and said if I call back next week they might have a South American Way in stock.

Carmen Miranda used to run a hat shop which, according to Wikipedia, was "quite profitable".

Meanwhile, here's The Nicholas Brothers with Down Argentine Way: nice tuxedos, elaborate tap-dancing and polite applause. Very much sums up my ten years here.

No comments: