Wednesday 28 January 2009

I Can't Make It Anymore



Dear James,

There's a Uruguayan restaurant near here that has menus made from the jackets of old albums. One of them is the Woodstock album. I asked the waitress for a little help from my friends. I bet nobody ever makes that joke. She pretended not to get it, rather than treating me with the contempt I deserved. I was disappointed. Contempt is always infinitely preferable to indifference. Just as long as there's some kind of reaction.

After opening the Woodstock festival in the 60s, Richie Havens went on to compose and perform jingles for NBC, CBS and ABC. Isn't that wonderfully representative of the Woodstock generation?

And! It turns out this was a cover of a Northern Soul record by Spyder Turner. Covers better than the original? Got one right here.

No comments: