Thursday 15 January 2009

American Idol does Sgt. Pepper



Dear James,

You know it's been a slow day for me elsewhere when I post four posts in one day. But this one could not be left behind.

It all starts off fairly normally, with Joe Perry strumming along to Kelly Clarkson and wondering where the hell it all went wrong. Then a Coldplay impersonator destroys a Day in the Life before he's even given up the Coldplay impersonation. It starts to feel like one of those dreams you have where people are doing something your conscious self likes, but they're doing them all wrong. And you shout out "Stop" You're doing it all wrong! And I used to like that!" I have dreams like that.

Then we get Carrie Underwood. I used to think Syreeta's cover of "She's Leaving Home" was a contemporary cover. How wrong I was. Still, good old Ruben, eh?

And to finish it off, our American Idol friends show us that it really is possible to make "A Little Help From My Friends" even worse in this post-WWW world.

No comments: