Monday 26 January 2009

(Remember) Walking in the Sand



Dear James,

Peach of a song for you here from the Shangri-Las, following the theme of the previous post and showing the world where Amy Winehouse got Back to Black for. But it's not just Amy who copied it: Sir Paul McCartney ripped off the verse, put it in the middle eighth of Free As A Bird and claimed John Lennon had written it. And can you guess which American hard-rock band covered it? It almost sounds like they wrote it.

I just checked my Revolution in the Head and Iain MacDonald pointed out that Shangri-La thing many moons ago. And I thought I was great. However, MacDonald makes no mention of Brian Epstein faking his own death, killing Paul McCartney and inhabiting his body and feeding on the blood of Michael Jackson, so I've still got some original ideas.

Mary Weiss was 15 when she sang lead on this song. I like how they had nothing to do with Phil Spector, even though they sound like they should, and how they're a lot darker than other girl groups of the 60s, as seen in Past, Present and Future, which is just this side of unsettling. This is a cover, I couldn't find the original.

Billy Joel played piano on the original demo to (Remember), which was seven minutes long. That's so Billy. It probably featured a Dixieland jazz section and lengthy saxophone solos. I don't know whether that drummer you like featured.

Dear Daniel,

Crikey. I was reading your text and watching the video and thinking to myself how attractive the singer of the Shangri-las was. Just then, you revealed me to be a dirty old peadophile. Thanks a bunch. Nice tune, though.

No comments: