Friday 30 January 2009

Green Machine

Dear James,

Here's something odd: I just found this draft of a post which we'd both commented on but never got round to publishing. That's drink for you. We could start a whole internet conspiracy thing of "the missing 78records articles". I bet people are talking about it already.



Dear James,

I spend far too long thinking up posts for my blogs. I was trying to remember the time before July 2007 when I didn't have a blog, and wondered what I did with my time. I can't remember, but I'm sure it was less constructive. Today I read there's a new grunge scene in Leeds and was going to post one of the bands the article mentioned but thought you might like to do that instead, and thus remain on diplomatic terms with any band members you might know. Or just say what you really think, whatever.

So I was going to post something from my halcyon grunge days but couldn't find anything that would fit the unspoken cool of this blog. I nearly posted Barkmarket in the hope that Dave Sardy might now be considered cool, having produced a band they call The Duels, but then I remembered how I was into one cool band when I was 17, and they were called Kyuss.

As you can see, early 90s metal videos were rubbish. I think bands were reluctant to sell out by lowering themselves to the video format, but then they couldn't get on MTV if they didn't. One Metallica fan once spat in James Hetfield's face for making a video for the 1989 single One. On the other hand, grunge/metal was the only music you could play in your shorts. And then there were the bass solos.

According to the comments on youtubes, "Kyuss is for driving through the desert at 200 miles per hour in a souped up Chevy Van 20", so if you don't appreciate this song, this may be why. Another fan counters that "Kyuss is for getting high in the basement and I wouldn't have it any other way". Do you have a cellar in the new house? As you'll be able to spot, Kyuss featured Stone Age Queen Josh Homme on guitar, and our friend Jon Gomm on vocals, clearly.

Dear Daniel,

I like Kyuss. I wish you'd have played me them when you were 18, possibly instead of Attack of the Killer Bs.

No comments: