Wednesday 17 June 2009

There Will Be Soundtracks



Dear James,

The other day I finally got round to watching "There Will Be Blood". It had taken me a while to get round to watching it as it's a bit of blokes' film so I had to watch it while Josefina was out. Then she came back before I´d finished watching it, and I had to explain the whole story to her, as Daniel Day Lewis rained down blows on the false prophet's head. With a skittle. Spoiler Alert! Oh, too late.

One of the things I liked about the film is its soundtrack, composed by Jonny Greenwood, the one with the floppy fringe from Radiohead. Very tense, and almost scary. I pleased to see Josefina come home, as it was past midnight. It turns out Jonny Greenwood has previous in this department (writing orchestral stuff, not slightly scaring man-boys), as seen in his piece Popcorn Superhet Receiver. He's also composer-in-residence at the BBC. When did the BBC become so trendy? And when are they going to bring back Wogan?



As I may have mentioned elsewhere, Radiohead played here with Kraftwerk on March 24, "Memory Day" here in Argentina. That's the day when we try to remember where we put our keys and have a good old reminiscence about 80s' TV. Naturally, I didn't go. Far be it from me to stand in a cold field with a bunch of kids when I could be in the comfort of my own home, reminiscing about 80s' TV. But also because Radiohead and Kraftwerk are very much like Terry Wogan to me: something I like to admire from afar, but not something I've ever been inspired to investigate more deeply. Plus it was 300 pesos for tickets, so, you know. I don't believe this nonsense about musical lapels either, as much as I admire the "minimum fuss" concept:

No comments: