Wednesday 10 June 2009

Lazy Line Painter Jane



Dear James,

I was just thinking about Belle and Sebastian the other day. I thought of posting something on here, but when I did a search for them on youtube I didn't recognise any of the songs they offered me. Of course, the last album of theirs I bought was Boy With The Arab Strap in 1998. I didn't get the feeling I'd missed much in the meantime. Then just now I saw an article in the usual place about Stuart Murdoch's new girl band project. No doubt you've already seen this, I know you go the Culture pages first while I make a self-conscious attempt to read the politics before sloping off to the football pages, making my way to the Culture only come the evening, when I've run out of other things to do and remembered such pages existed.

So the girls' voices on the interview bit sounded nice so I thought it might make a nice post. Sadly, the finished effort, Como Monday Night, strikes me at times as a mix of the same old charty gush and something that sounds like it would sound worse if Belle and Sebastian recorded it. It has some nice notes, but nothing can relieve the 90 seconds of cheese that precedes the song and other cheesy tricks in between. So I'm posting Lady Line Painter Jane instead, and remembering when it used to instantly remind me of my bedroom furniture in fourth year, but now no longer does, but now probably will having written that. It has a cheesy video too.

No comments: