Thursday 25 June 2009

Tarred and Feathered



Dear Daniel,

News today of the Cardiacs lead singer Tim Smith, who had a cardiac arrest almost exactly a year ago. The band has been going as long as you and I have been alive, but then ceased activities on that date and have been quiet ever since. Then,this.

To be frank, I've always found it difficult to get past the dishevelled-clown makeup (latterly inspiring Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight, possibly?) and the pseudo-cryptic lyrics to actually get to the songs. And when I get to the songs.. erm, my god. It's a certain breed of genius, definitely. In the world of awkwardness I prefer Devo, but I have a feeling that makes me a lightweight.

A friend was adamant I would like them, even asking whether parts of the first Duels album were inspired by them. Not so - I'm with the reviewers who say one Cardiacs song has more ideas in it than some bands have in their entire career (do you see what I'm saying here?). I haven't counted, but I'll wager that Tarred and Feathered and this one, R.E.S., contain more mini-songs between them than there are tracks on the two Duels albums...



Honorable mention for the friend: one Chris Catalyst who is a multi-talented, indefatigable force of nature himself. He's currently to be found fronting Eureka Machines, anywhere and everywhere:



... when he's not featuring on MTV's cribs... I think.

Dear James,

Is it just me, or do The Cardiacs look and sound like Chris Evans trying to be funny?

No comments: