Tuesday 7 July 2009

Five Star Day



Dear James,

One of the many joys of Pandora.com before it got taken away from non-US users was finding bands no one had ever heard of and which you never then heard of again in any media. Such is the case with Aqueduct, whose Wikipedia page reads like it was written by David Terry himself, and the band is so obscure that Wikipedia hasn't bothered to look into it. I downloaded their "I Sold Gold" album nearly three years ago and I haven't heard them mentioned by anyone else anywhere. They'd be my favourite band ever if it wasn't for the fact that the album isn't all that great shakes, and I've spent the last three years listening to my other big pandora find, Dr. Dog, over and over again.

As a Wilko fan you'll know that all average albums by average American indie bands have one great song. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot has Jesus, etc. and I Sold Gold has Five Star Day. I worked out how to play it on the piano the other day, and it's really easy, to the extent that I've now completely gone off the song and have nothing to say about. Instead I'll tell you about the film "Five Star Day", about a man who sets out to disprove astrology, like you do, by getting together with three people born at the same hospital and on the same night as him. It's a promising premise, but the execution is poor and the trailer looks like a cheese-fest made by a first-year film student.

Interestingly, the first line of Aqueduct's "Five Star Day" is

I don't believe in astrology
but you can read me your horoscope
I like to hear your voice.


which as far as first lines go is write up there with Heroes and Villains.

No comments: