Sunday 5 July 2009

Canción de Alicia en el país



Dear James,

I'm back. You'll say I only spoke to you 2 hours ago, but for the purposes of the blog I've been away over a week, pretending to be working.

You may remember my previous posts about Charly Garcia and Sui Generis. Well, after they'd broke up he formed Seru Giran. This song is particularly interesting, I'm told by people who didn't get all their knowledge about Charly Garcia from a cursory glance at Wikipedia, because it was written in the early 80s when people like Charly couldn't get anything past the censors. Although if I was a censor, I probably wouldn't let these lyrics past either.

The innocent are guilty says his lordship,
the king of Spades.
Don't tell what you saw behind the looking glass
you will have no power, lawyers or witnesses.


The music press liked Charly's new direction with Seru Giran, but the fans longed for the good days of twee songs around a piano and tin-flute. I'm with the fans on this one.

No comments: