Sunday 14 December 2008

Sweating Bullets


Dear James,

The Megadeth video catalogue is ripe with humour. I could've posted the brilliant "Peace Sells...but who's buying?" or the equally comical "Go To Hell", but I chose this one for Dave Mustaine's impeccable impression of a man pretending to be mad.

The song also begs the question: why does Dave Mustaine sing like a man on the toilet trying to force one out?

I was at Rock World in Manchester in 2004 when this song came on. A very hirsute gentleman got very excited and launched into his very own Mustaine impersonation. As far as party pieces go, it was right up there with my dad reciting Vincent Price's lines from Thriller.

As a youth, Dave Mustaine was a drug dealer and one of his clients paid him in Judas Priest and Iron Maiden records. Try slipping a "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" LP into a club and exchanging it for a couple of pills. Works every time.

Dave Mustaine is most fondly remembered, of course, for his cameo appearance in the comedy "Some Kind of Monster". Mustaine claims he withdrew his permission to use the footage of him in the romcom, and says they edited out the bit where Lars Ulrich storms out of a room crying. Poor Lars. Megadeth's Wikipedia page has a list of all the people Dave Mustaine has feuds with. It's a long list. Poor Dave.

Dear Daniel,

I thought Dave Mustaine came across as quite needy in that film. I felt for him. I also notice that he repeatedly looks a lot like Thom Yorke in the video you posted. Not always, just repeatedly. I would point out certain times when this happens but that would mean listening to the song through again and, frankly, Megadeth already owe me far too many wasted minutes.

No comments: