Thursday 18 December 2008

And I Love Her



Dear Daniel,

Rick Wakeman is currently (2:21pm, 18th December 2008) on 5Live basically busking tunes listeners are asking for. Unfortunately for Rick, he doesn't appear to know a great deal of them. He also just made a big deal of going to a music school and then was asked what a Picardy third was and admitted he didn't know. I guess that's not unusual, but it's more bizarre when Wikipedia includes Roundabout by Yes among the four big modern hits to feature one. Things aren't going well for Rick. He's been using a celeste sound on his keyboard, until Simon Mayo told him he was "turning everything to cheese." I wonder which guest pulled out at the last minute?

That list: And I love Her, Roundabout, Sweet Child o Mine and Black Sabbath's N.I.B.

Watching this bit from a Hard Days Night through again, I wonder why it took so many years for TV to copy the Richard Lester wobbly-camera bits that still look good here even though every show on the box has been doing it since 1995. Have you seen The Bill nowadays? Gor Blimey! Even my gran accepts shakeycam!

Dear James,

As an indication of how busy I am, it's taken me 22 hours to respond to this post. That's shocking blogging. Thanks for that clip of The Bill. Hasn't it changed these days? Although still with unfeasible storylines where accomplishes hand over the loot in broad daylight in the middle of the Arndale Centre. They're just trying to get on TV Burp, aren't they?

Anyway, music. We should probably explain to our reader that a Picardy third is when a song in a minor key changes to major. One of my favourite moments of the 1990s was when the Prime Minister donned a Davey helmet and went down a pit. There's nothing so finer than that change from Major to miner.

No comments: