Thursday 27 August 2009

We Are Golden



Dear Daniel,

Now, I've never been a fan of Mika and I suggest that you should not be either, despite him evoking the memory of Freddie Mercury in the nonsense-pop hit, Grace Kelly. In fact, he does more than simply evoke in that song. He more or less sings, "I'm going to try and sing like Freddie Mercury now," and then tries to sing like Freddie Mercury. As I say, nonsense.

Well, that's one thing. (In fact, there are two things: he sings, "Why don't you like me?" over and over which is simply dreadful and no amount of protestations about its ironic intent, its postmodern leanings, its subversive objective justify its complete bloody mawkishness.)

Anyway, he's gone a step further. For inspiration on his big new nonsense-pop hit, he's gone beyond Grace Kelly, bypassed Freddie Mercury and, erm, watched this clip of The Office from about 53"...



Surely the joke in The Office was that the song was awful?

Dear James,

I'm back!And I have this to say. If this was 1973 instead of 2009, Mika would be the new Sparks. Or the old Sparks. As it is, and as we always suspected, he's just turned into a dull pop act with the odd falsetto and silly shorts. So if this was 1984, he would actually be Freddie Mercury.

No comments: