Sunday 2 August 2009

Bus Stop



Dear James,

Today I spent 10 hours riding the buses of Buenos Aires and then writing about it. You can read all about it at my marvellously shamelessly plugged blog, danieltunnard.blogspot.com. In fact I posted 14 times on that blog in the last week. My prolificacy! It's back. How I missed it.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Concepcion with the in-laws, reading the entertainment section from a 4-month old copy of the La Nacion newspaper. I was quite bored. In it, there was a big feature on a grey-bearded sports journalist off the telly proclaiming his love for The Hollies and showing off his dated vinyl collection. A very odd article, I thought. The Hollies are unheard of over here and, more to the point, were always shite. The only redeaming part of the article was that the chap in question once declared on air that the Rolling Stones, idolised by any self-respecting Argentinian, weren't really up to much. He got lots of threatening e-mails afterwards. He also claimed that the Hollies were never as big as other 60s bands because they were from Manchester instead of Liverpool, a claim I often like to pass off in my own defence.

Then today I was reading my weekly World Wide Words newsletter and it had a piece on beghilos, a term for the geeky student practice enjoyed by you and me in the 1980s (and probably 1990s in your case) of spelling out words on an upside-down calculator. It mentioned that The Hollies 1979 album was called 5317704, which upside-down spells Hollies. Although 5318008 would clearly have been a far funnier title.

No comments: