Sunday 10 May 2009

White Blank Page



Dear Daniel,

On reflection, my time would probably be better spent here telling you about some of the other good acts who played at Live at Leeds last week. That, rather than solipcistically banging on about what a great time was had by me. So here goes -

1) Mumford and Sons (above). The band name sounded to me like a family removals company. As it turned out, dressed like they were in removals. Here's another song - the off-the-bat performance reminds me of that excellent Dr Dog version of California. And there's a beautiful guitar in it too.



2) Wild Beasts. Local lads, except they moved to Leeds from Kendal. People either love them or hate them, largely based on the lead singer's voice. I'm with the "love" team.



Oddly, the bass player has the best singing voice in Leeds and the fact that he only sings back up just makes me like them more. You can hear him on this b-side, behind Hadyn's dog-from-the-muppets roar. It starts with the words "casual sex", so I'm sure you'll enjoy it



3) Dinosaur Pile-Up. Much talked about over here among people in the know. Currently being recorded by Duels' drummer James Kenosha in the same studio where we recorded The Barbarians Move In. Three-piece formed from one half of Leeds favourites Mother Vulpine, with the former drummer from This Et Al involved cos he's wonderful. This is a bit sedate, but live they're very 1992



4) Of course, it's worth putting up a video by the band who managed to get a slot playing at exactly the same time as Dinosaur Pile Up (who everybody wanted to see). That's right: my band. Thankfully, we pulled a crowd...



More to come...

Dear James,

Yeah, given the choice I'd probably go and see Dinosaur Pile Up too. I've seen Duels loads and you know they're not gonna play "What we did wrong", so what's the point? Eh?

No comments: