Tuesday 24 March 2009

I wonder what she's doing tonight



Dear James,

I was just thinking, it's been three weeks since we posted a serious video. So I was going to post Glen Campbell's I Guess I'm Dumb, seeing as it was written by Brian Wilson, but I've already shown you that during our two weeks of live blogging, and I have nothing more to say about it although I've at least managed to fill up one paragraph before I try to think of something to say about Boyce and Hart, which frankly I'm going to crib from Wikipedia anyway. And it's something I've already told you as well.

So, Boyce and Hart first of all provided the inspiration for Mike Myer's wardrobe in Austin Powers, but that's a given. I like how they make it look like an album cover at the start. What I didn't know, and judging by this clip I'm not sure anyone knew, was that they wrote Last Train to Clarksville. AND that Last Train to Clarksville was a Vietnam song, Clarksville being the station troops went to to catch the cheap flights to Ho Chi Minh City, probably.

Boyce and Hart also wrote the Monkees b-side and old-favourite "Words" for The Leaves, who were the first band to release Hey Joe as a rock standard, whatever that means. As I told you on the bus to Iguazú, "Words" is a song about haemmorhoids, although I can´t remember the punchline for that one. I once lost a five pound bet to first girlfriend Lucy over the authorship of "Hey Joe". I said it was Hendrix, she said it was Billy Roberts. Turns out she wasn't completely right.

Dear Daniel,

Oh God, if ever there was inspiration for tireless search and research for the secret of time travel, it's poor Bobby Hart's expression throughout this video. He should stay at home and enjoy the PRS. Nobody should make him stand in front of a camera dressed like that, moving like that and slightly, awkwardly smiling like that. His left foot tries to make a break for it at 2'14", before the trousers put a stop to it.

Thankfully, we have a tasteful modern version made cleverly in one shot by the funny guy from the IT Crowd, Mighty Boosh and Time Trumpet, Richard Ayoade...



... which goes to show, of course, that we're a lot more wise and intelligent now than anyone was in the 60s. Stanley Unwin aside.

And just to prove that I listen to what you say, it was "words with lies inside: piles." Far more intelligent, you see, far more wise.

No comments: